On your way through Ho Chi Minh City on your travels?
1. Visit the War Remnants Museum to learn about the Vietnam War. See the full effect the war had on the country and the people it killed. There are lots of guns, equipment, and vehicles from the era. It’s sensitively done, but doesn’t gloss over any of the horror the country faced. Spend a whole day here, there’s enough to see.
3. See the Jade Emperor Pagoda. If you see any Vietnamese pagoda, make sure it’s this one. It is beautiful and is completely awe-inspiring in scale and ambition of the Taoists and Buddhists that built it.
4. Go shopping at Ben Thanh Market and marvel at the local handicraft and áo dài. Its busy and alive nature makes you completely immersed in the place.
5. Reunification Palace is one the most beautiful palaces in the world and it’s well worth a visit. It used to be known as the Independence Palace but was pulled down after an attempted assassination of Ngo Dinh Diem. Here, you’ll find the tank that crashed through the gates of the palace on 30 April 1975, signalling the fall of the Saigon regime.
6. No city would be tourist focused unless it had a waterpark and Ho Chi Minh City is no different. Play like a kid in the Vietnamese style waterpark. Let’s face it – we all love them!
7. Dress up and head for dinner in Lam Son Square, the most prestigious address in the city. It is the place to head for a night of culture and a spot of shopping amongst the city’s most affluent residents.
8. Eat Vietnamese delicatessen also known as Pho – a Vietnamese Noodle dish and then wash it back with a Vietnamese coffee at any one of the many pop-up cafes. It’s always cheap and you just have to point to what you want.
9. Drink snake and scorpion wine, trust me. Try everything once! It is believed to improve health and virility. And don’t worry about the venom, its actually cancelled out I am told by the alcohol.
What an amazing place Ho Chi Minh City is!