After a couple of days exploring Malta we decided to jump on a bus from Mellieha and go visit the famous local attraction, Popeye Village. Located in Anchor bay and just a short journey from Mellieha by bus, the village includes the original film set from the 1980’s film which starred the legendary actor Robin Williams, and the new addition to the village is the inflatable obstacle course which was a big hit with both children and adults! This beautiful cove is one of Malta’s biggest tourist attractions with most of the film set still intact.
TOP THINGS TO DO AT POPEYE VILLAGE
- Water Trampolines – Jump your way on our trampolines, try our moon walk, or see-saw your afternoon away whilst bathing in the crystal clear waters of Anchor Bay.
- Anchor Bay Lido – Relax during a very hot Maltese summer day whilst making use of the; Sun Beds, Sun Umbrellas, Sun Decks, Bathing Areas, Trampolines and Splash Pool.
- Play Pool – Allow your children to enjoy their Popeye Village experience in our covered Play Pool where the little ones can enjoy the slides under the watchful eye of their parents. Sun beds, Sun umbrellas and showers are all situated around the play pool.
- Take 2 Filming -Be part of a cast and become movie stars for one day by staring in an actual movie. From plotting the scenes, to rehearsals, to costume-picking and the actual filming, you and your friends will have a blast and taste the life of your Hollywood idols. At the end of the stay, you will visit our cinema to experience the Premier of your very own movie.
- Animation Shows – Meet Popeye, Olive Oyl and all their friends during the most enjoyable and ever so amusing Animation shows which are continuously going on in the village.
We arrived on a scorching day and made a B-Line straight for the clear blue sea! Without a beach, the attraction has a series of deck areas over a few levels with sun loungers and beds. But one of the main attractions and certainly Arabella’s favourite part of the park was the inflatable obstacle course in the bay. This great fun and the park even host a daily competition for any takers to see who can do the course quickest and see if they can beat the one and only Popeye around it.
Other than this there was the opportunity to meet all the characters and visit Popeye’s House and other parts of the set. Around the set there were boards with photos of the original set and how it was built. There are also bars, shops and a post office you can visit with information and activities to do.
Further up on the far side of the village is a Lido and a splash pool ideal for younger children or ones that may need an eye kept on. One of the more informative and nostalgic buildings is Bluto’s house. This building is as you will remember from the film but with poster about the set and preservation of this national treasure.
There are plenty of bars and food spots and they aren’t too horrifically priced either. Note the Rough house restaurant has huge and delicious burgers on offer!
As with everywhere on this dry and hot island remember to take plenty of water everywhere you go! Overall this is a must-visit attraction when in Malta and with the great bus network and car park it is easily accessible.
HOW MUCH IS IT TO GET IN?
1st June to 30th June , 1st September to 31st October
Rates per person from the Ticket Booth : Adults: EUR 14.50 & Children (3-12yrs): EUR 11.50
1st July to 31st August
Rates per person from the Ticket Booth : Adults: EUR 16.00 & Children (3-12yrs): EUR 13.00
WHAT DOES IT INCLUDE?
The Summer Package includes the following:
Entrance to Popeye’s Film Set
Use of Water Games, Trampolines and Slides
Use of Splash Pool
Use of Play Pool
Use of Sun Beds, Sun Umbrellas and Showers
A variety of Animation Shows
Access to Popeye’s Comic Museum
15 minutes Boat trip around Anchor Bay (Weather permitting)
Entrance to the Cinema (for a 15 minute Documentary of the Film Set)
Silver Smith Demonstrations
Use of Nine-Hole Mini-Golf course
HOW TO GET TO POPEYE VILLAGE MALTA
For all those travelling to Popeye Village by Public Transport, you can reach Ghadira (Mellieha Bay) with bus numbers
From Valletta: 41, 42 / From Sliema : 222 / From Bugibba : 221 then jump on Mellieha Centre / Mellieha Bay to Popeye Village : 101
I flew to Malta with the wonderful team at Jet2 Holidays on a package holiday, including flights, accommodation and transfers. We stayed at the lovely Maritim Antonine Hotel in Mellieha Bay. For more information and to book your own trip to Malta visit Jet2 Holidays.